Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Broken bones...part 2

 Allen and I were so sad to hear about Elder Jensen's injured elbow.  I kept wondering how his mom was doing.  The nurse had tried to call when it happened, but didn't get in touch with anyone.  His family learned about it the same way we did, on facebook.  It was great to hear from Elder Martin yesterday.  They were in good spirits and he was doing everything he could to help Elder Jensen. (He's not ready for a new companion.)

I, on the other hand, did not miss the call from the mission nurse, Sister Farrimond.  My phone rang Monday night, just after 9:00.  I didn't recognize the number, but I answered it.  (Which sometimes I don't.)  


"Is this Sister Martin?'

"Yes, it is."

"This is Sister Farrimond, the mission nurse in San Fernando."

HEARTBEAT INCREASES, MIND IS RACING (which it doesn't do a lot lately)

"Hi?"

"I'm here with Elder Martin. He has a broken...."

NOT A LEG, NOT A LEG, NOT A LEG

"a broken right hand.  He broke his hand playing flag football."

"Is he ok?  Is his hand going to be ok?"

"Yes, he's fine.  He's mostly frustrated that he played full contact football for 10 years and never had an injury, and now he has a broken hand from playing flag football.  We have to wait for the swelling to go down, then he will see the orthopedic doctor in a few days."

"But he really is ok?"

"Yes, he's just standing here smiling.  We gave him some painkillers and some ibuprofen."


I really stayed calm through the entire conversation, I didn't even ask to talk to him, but I can't remember any details or all the medical terminology she was giving me.  I don't know exactly how it happened, what is broken, or why he was just getting it taken care of at that time of night.  I don't even know if I can hope to get details in the email next week.  Can he type left handed?  Can he and Elder Jensen each get dressed and feed themselves with only their left hand?  What happens to the car now?  Are they going to be walking or quarantined their apartment?


Sister Farrimond did send me some pictures.  Guaranteed to make me smile, she said.




" Eagle Scout ingenuity... the doctor was impressed."  Sister Farrimond said about this picture.  Looks to me like it would have been less painful to just hold up his hand, instead of being splinted with fresh tree branches and... WHO'S SOCKS ARE THEY???!!!  Not Colby's, he has his on.




First broken bone for this kid, and he did without me.




"Heaven is cheering you on, today, tomorrow, and forever."  Jeffrey R. Holland

1 comment:

  1. This is the best post EVER! Can't wait for the update!

    ReplyDelete